Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The biggest things that stuck out to me from the past weeks lessons is that the groups that we all belong to mold our identities and that stereotypes are real and affect people more than we think. Everyone belongs to many different kinds of groups, and I think that as time goes on we outgrow some of those groups while others remain very prevalent in our lives.

 I think that one of the most prevalent groups that I belong to has to do with my ethnicity. I'm Mexican, and I think that this has very much shaped the person I am. One of the biggest things that comes with being Mexican is that there is a large portion of people that associate being Mexican with such a negative connotation. People like to make inaccurate generalizations, or better yet, they stereotype all Mexicans as dumb, or criminals over the actions of very few. 

Within my school environment, I've always felt like many expect me to under perform because of the long standing stereotype that Mexican's aren't intelligent. Consequently, I became the type of student that likes to challenge herself with accelerated and advanced courses and perform well in them so that in a way, I'm acting to defeat the unfair stereotype that exists about this particular group of mine. 

In class we discussed Joel Charon's "Should we Generalize" and he explained that generalizing is simply something innate that we do because we are human beings. He went on to say that although generalizing is good because as humans, its our way of applying knowledge to various situations, generalizations can very easily turn into stereotypes. Stereotypes occur when the generalizations we make are inaccurate and when we take the actions of one individual and apply it to the whole category. 

1 comment:

  1. Powerful example Kathia! Good for you! Keep proving them wrong!

    ReplyDelete